Coyote

Title: Re: [ranchos] Coyote

Alice,



I discussed genes with another genealogy group (Pureto Rican) earlier today. I am simply copying it and forwarding it to you and the group. It is self-explanatory. Phenotype (what it looks like) and genotype (what the genes are) are two different things.



Respectfully,



Ed Serros









Ron and Ivonne,



As advertised, the mtDNA test is DNA check on your mother’s mother’s mother’s…mother’s ancestry. Recently, even the most “European” (read white) of South American countries, Argentina, has shown that approximately 90% of mtDNA is Indian. The paternal, Y-DNA, is largely European. The inference is clear. The male Europeans came and the Native American Indian females bore. Yes, there are a lot of reasons for this: conquest, infectious disease, food, social issue, etc.



Your mtDNA may be Indian (four major types in all the Americas) and may not necessarily answer the questions you may have. I believe that there are on-going studies in Puerto Rico looking into this mtDNA issue. See http://www.centrelink.org/KearnsDNA.html for a recent study on Puerto Rican DNA. Your father’s (or brother’s) Y-DNA may give you a better idea of where your (paternal) ancestors were from. Obviously, since you are female, you do not have Y-DNA. See http://www.familytreedna.com/ for more details on DNA.



By the way, my mtDNA is Native American Indian and my Y-DNA is European, possibly Basque. In fact, Ron Rodriguez and I share a basic Y-DNA pattern, although not enough to make us related.



Ed





On 2/4/05 4:23 PM, “R Rodriguez” <poetaleon@…> wrote:





Hi Ivonne,



Checking on the information provided by experts, you may do so by

applying for an mtDNA test available. It’s designed for the

mother’s side of ancestry.



Anyone who has performed this test, please comment on this issue at

will.



Ron



— In RodriguezPR@yahoogroups.com, “rivkeh1967” <equipoise@o...>

wrote:


I know nothing about the Dna test process and what sort of info it
gives. I have traced my ancestry back to late 1700s London,

Spanish

and Portuguese Rodrigues is my family, but know nothing further

back

than London. Will DNA test help this ancestry is my mother’s side,



thankyou!



> Shalom, Yvonne





On 2/4/05 8:15 PM, “marge vallazza” <TeaCozyGran@…> wrote:



A lot of Spaniards were and are short and dark…depends on THEIR genes, too!:slight_smile: Marge V.:slight_smile:



----- Original Message -----



From: alice wissing mailto:alice_wissing@...



To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com



Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 5:52 PM



Subject: Re: [ranchos] Coyote







I do believe that is true, but I’ve noticed that in certain branches of my family where the people are tall and fair, the genealogy does indeed identify the ancestors as mostly Spanish. My maternal grandfather was short, and sure enough he traced back to an Indian. I’m not sure I’d totally disregard the classifications. Have others noticed similar patterns?







Alice



Alberto Duarte <albertodua@…> wrote:





Note:

A couple of years ago I was told by a genealogist from

SHARR, not to pay much attention to Mexican birth

records whenever race was noted. Such birth record

notes (race) were just part of the racism that existed

at that time, and had no meaning to the make up of the

person.



I doubt if any one us can say what our ethnic make up

is, I know I cannot.



We are just good people!



Alberto Duarte Prieto.

— marge vallazza wrote:



I have a copy of a microfilmed birth record of one

of my ancestresses in Jerez, Zacatecas, where she is

listed as a mestiza. In Mitra Sacrada, by Luz

Montejano Hilton, there’s a marriage/consanguinity

record of my ancestress’ parents and their ancestors

where they are clearly noted as espagnol. Lastly,

her son’s birth record ! lists him as espanol. I

think whichever priest wrote the record was sleeping

on the job.:slight_smile: Marge:)

----- Original Message -----

From: MMG8938@…

To: ranchos@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:40 AM

Subject: Re: [ranchos] Coyote





Hello:



In reference to being, Español, mulato/a, coyote,

etc. I have an ancestor who is in different

documents all of the above…go figure that one

out! This was in Coahuila!!



Mickey





------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links



a.. To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/



b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an

email to:

ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

Yahoo! Terms of Service.











------------------------------------------------------------------------------





No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 -

Release Date: 2/1/05

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 - Release

Date: 2/1/05







__________________________________________________

Do You Yahoo!?

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around

http://mail.yahoo.com







Yahoo! Groups Links



<> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ranchos/



<
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

ranchos-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com



<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is su! bject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/















Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard " target="_blank">http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html"><http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/spamguard/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/static/protection.html> .





No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/05


Yahoo! Groups Links


No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.5 - Release Date: 2/3/05